Friday, November 23, 2012

~ Lummur

As my term project I will be incorporating tradition Icelandic recipes into my everyday routine to experience a piece of Icelandic culture at home. To begin, I have chosen a popular recipe that sounded like a fantastic way to use up the oatmeal from my fridge. Every-year, a childhood friend of mine would celebrate the first day of summer (the third Thursday in April) by cooking Lummur at her grandparents. Lummur can be described as a hearty pancake that is served with a variety of toppings both sweet and savoury. My friend has emailed this recipe to me and has suggested that I try it with cucumbers and cheese. 


To begin, I gathered my ingredients:

- A serving of day old, or cooled down oatmeal (about 200g)
- Sugar (1 teaspoon)
-Salt (around a 1/4 teaspoon)
- Baking Powder (1 and 1/4 teaspoon)
- Cardamon (half to 1 teaspoon)
- Egg brought to room temperature (one)
- Milk (1cup)
- white or whole wheat flour (around 75g)


 Into the oatmeal, mix the sugar, salt, cardamon, and baking powder.


Once mixed, cracked in an egg and thoroughly combined. 


Add milk. 


Add flour to the batter; do not over-mix. 


Onto a hot pan, pour the batter to create a palm size cake. 


Allow bubbles to appear in the surface before flipping. Once both sides are cooked, face the less appealing upwards and decorate with desired toppings. Traditional toppings are cheeses, rhubarb jam and other items left over. 


Although it is not the first day of spring this dish was surprisingly delicious. The use of basic ingredients, leftovers oatmeal and simple cooking methods suggests to me that traditional Icelandic is a very economical as well as tasty. The combination of rhubarb jam and cheese has one my boyfriends heart, and found its way onto the menu of tomorrow's breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment