Monday, November 26, 2012

~ Niðursoðnar Rauðrófur


Niðursoðnar Rauðrófur, or pickled beets, is my favourite Icelandic recipe so far. It tastes just my grandmas; the beets are tangy but sweet. Pickled vegetables were an essential for historical Iceland because with the short growing season, food preserves helped Icelander make it through the winter. This is another wonderful recipe from my hometown friend.



Ingredients: 

- 1/2kg red beets
- 500ml white vinegar
- 100g sugar
- water as required
- salt to taste


Scrub the beets with a bristled brush and break off the root stem. Place the beets into a pot and fill with water until the tops of the beets are just covered. Remember to season the water with salt. Cook the beets until a fork can easily be pressed through.


Allow the beets to cool before you cut up the ends and peel off the skin. I found it was easiest to remove the skin by using a spoon (this is also the best way to peel the skin off of a ginger root).


Slice the beets into cm thick rounds and place into a jar with sugar. 


Poor vinegar into the jar to dissolve the sugar. Next time I think I will my grandma's method of bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil and pouring on top of the beets.


Niðursoðnar Rauðrófur seems to be served with every Icelandic dish from meets to potatoes. These pickled beets will last for about 2 weeks in the fridge, but if you are like me, they will be gone before they go bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment