Sunday, November 25, 2012

~ Kartöflustappa


With my boyfriend working at a produce company I have a never ending supply of potatoes sitting in my pantry. I felt like a traditional Icelandic women being able to use what I had on hand to serve Kartöflustappa to my potato loving guy for one of his nightly after-dinner snacks. I can imagine that this would be a popular traditional side dish in Icelandic homes during the winter time when fresh foods are less available. 



Ingredients

- 1kg potatoes
- 250ml milk 
- 15g sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt to season


To speed up the cooking time I cut my potatoes in half before cooking. I find no sense in peeling potatoes because that is where you find the most nutrition! Trying to keep to a traditional Icelandic mindset, there would be no sense waisting food.


Place potatoes in a pot with cold water and bring to a boil. Remember to season the water with a bit of salt. Potatoes are done when you can easily cut through with a fork.


Gradually add milk as you mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. When fully mashed, mix in the remaining milk and butter.


Serve hot as a side dish or even a main-meal with vegetables on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment