Saturday, November 24, 2012

~ Fiskibollur


My mom came over for dinner tonight so I decided to make make Fiskibollur. Fiskibollur roughly translates to fish-balls or fish circles (bollur indicates that the item is round). Although it did not turn out how I expected, Fiskibollur tasted great and has given my mom an idea of how to use up leftover fish. Icelandic cooks really knew how to utilize what they had to create a variety of interesting dishes. 

Ingredients: 

- 1 or 2 fillets of cod
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1tsp salt
- milk (as needed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of potato flour
- pepper to taste



Mince the cod with the onions. I was stuck with a knife, but this would have been a lot easier with a mincer or other blender device.


Combine the pepper, flour, starch and salt into the fish and onion mix. 


Add a little bit of milk to the mixture. I made the mistake of thinking that I would need the full 500ml. Personally, I feel like this recipe does not need much milk at all because cod is a very water heavy fish.


Add an egg to the mix and let stand for about 30minutes.


Heat oil in a hot pan and ladle the mixture into palm size heaps. Cook on both sides until the fish is thoroughly done. With less milk, mine would have stayed together a lot better during the flipping process.


Fiskibollur can be served with a light salad or any other side dishes that go well with fish. This is a great recipe to squeeze in a few more vegetables as you barely notice the taste of onion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment