Tuesday, November 27, 2012

~ Piparkökur


With the weather being so cold, I decided to do some baking and try out Piparkökur, an Icelandic cookie recipe. Although I still don't feel that sugar is very authentic, I enjoyed this recipe. Like many of the savoury foods, Icelandic desserts are hearty sweets made from simple ingredients (although this was the most complicated recipe yet).


Ingredients: 

- 250g flour
- 125g butter
- 250g sugar
- 2 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp ginger
- 1/4tsp cloves
- 1/4tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground pepper
*personally, I will double each spice the next time I make these cookies


In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and spices. 


Add the butter and egg.


Stir until just combined. The cookie doe will hold together instead of crumbling, if not, add a little more egg.


Roll the doe into a cylinder and allow to sit in the fridge until the butter has hardened. This will allow you to handle the cookie doe without melting the butter too much. Cut into sections and roll doe into even size balls.


Arrange on a cookie sheet and bake until dark brown in a 200°c oven.


These cookies were very good straight out of the oven. I found them a bit dry when they had cooled so I dunked them in milk. yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment